Hi everyone! Today I'm sharing a project that I did for Inspiration Emporiums Challenge "in disguise" and Compendium of Curiosities Challenge III hosted by Linda Ledbetter.
Challenge number twelve is a technique found on page 41 of Tim Holtz's Compendium of Curiosities Volume Three book. If you don't have this great book you can find it here and Tim Holtz will even sign it for you!!! This challenge is sponsored by Funkie Junkie Boutique who have a wonderful gift voucher to give away to one lucky winner. Also, the Curiosity Crew Pick wins a fabulous pack of goodies from Tim and Mario! Now,here is my take on this "Distressed Photo Tinting" challenge.
Also for my "in disguise" challenge, I took what appears to be a very large manila tag and turn it into a clipboard! This is a photo of my mom on her eighth birthday, some people say we look a lot like :) I thought this photo would be perfect for this challenge.
Now, while I can't give the details of the technique that was used for the CC3C Challenge, I can tell you the supplies I used for the tag and the details of how I made everything else for the tag! To start with I used a giant #12 Manila tag. I took broken china, Evergreen bough and gathered twigs distress paint and started creating splatters, spills and splotches...then dried with heat tool.
I created some texture using the Tim Holtz Stars stencil and Ranger texture paste. Clean your stencils and your tools right away you don't want the texture paste to dry on them it would be really hard to get off.
I wanted to add some color to my stars after they were dried so I laid the stencil back over the stars after they were dry and just added some color with my finger using distress paint. Then dried with a heat tool.
To add even more color to my tag I used gathered twigs distress ink and a blending tool.
I felt my stars were getting a little too dark for what I was wanting So I lifted some of the color off with a damp towel, then dried with a heat tool.
I wanted to make a flower so I took the Tim Holtz tattered flowers die and cut out some crinoline. I've been making my own flowers for years, but no one does flowers like Tammy Tutterow does flowers. I first read about using crinoline on her blog and have been hooked ever since. Tammy is an amazing artist, everything she does is beautiful! To dye these flowers, I used spun silk, scattered straw, and picket fence distress stains...I still need to get my hands on Distress Stain Sprays.
I used a heat tool to dry, then shaded the edges with gathered twig distress ink and a blending tool. I cut a few of the petals out of tulle and layered in between.
I painted a couple of Tim Holtz idea-ology pieces with the antique linen, I ended up not using the broken china. I secured my flower with the number eight brad and the metal pedal sticking through the center and bending the prongs flat.
I added a little more interest to my textured stars using some potting soil archival ink. Taking the pad and swiping across the raised stars, then I dried with a heat tool.
I added a few stamped tags that I had cut out of manila using the new alterations tag collection dies. I also used a few pieces from the thrift shop ephemera pack. I diecut a couple of sprigs out of the spring greenery die. I don't want to forget the clipboard clip at the very top of the tag that I secured with a couple of brads, that's what pulled my whole project together!
To finish my piece off I added a little more idea-ology and a hand-dyed bow.
Now remember to enter your "In Disguise" themed projects over at Inspiration Journal and one lucky winner will be given a very generous $50 gift credit, to spend at Inspiration Emporium. You can find all the supplies I used at Inspiration Emporium via the links below. Remember to use my coupon code - vintagemuse - to save 10% on your order. I hope you enjoyed my Days Gone By tag! If you have any questions or if there's anything I missed please let me know I love your comments! Thanks for stopping by and I'll see you next time!